[hpsdr] Penelope Performance Measurements

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu May 22 20:46:27 PDT 2008

After the Dayton Hamvention I had the great pleasure of spending an
afternoon with John, N8UR. John has a most amazing basement laboratory
dedicated to the measurement of all things time related.

We set up Penelope and the supporting version of PowerSDR developed by
Bill, KD5TFD, in John’s lab and proceeded to measure performance. The
plots are on the Wiki

<http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=PENELOPE>

but here is the overall summary.

With Penny transmitting 0.25w at 14.1MHz the largest spurious response,
the 3rd harmonic, was down by >50dB with no external filtering.

Looking at the carrier in a 1 kHz span, all close-in spurs were greater
than 75 dB down.

We did some phase noise tests using John’s TSC-5120A phase noise
analyzer, but the Penelope on-board TCXO wasn't really stable enough to
get great results.

However, John suggested that the performance is significantly better
than any HF transmitter he had tested so far (but in fairness, there
was no big noisy power amplifier involved).

John believes the ‘glitch’ in the phase noise plot at 1kHz was due to
drift of the 10MHz TCXO in Penelope. The results were repeatable so
John considers the phase noise measurements to be valid.

Since we will be using basically the same FPGA code and components in
Mercury we can expect similar results on receive.

We seem to be living up to the ‘High Performance’ of our project title!

73’s Phil
VK6APH