[hpsdr] Latency

Glenn Thomas glennt at charter.net
Fri May 23 17:28:14 PDT 2008

Hi Shel.

Dunno. Half a second is a very long time for a
modern computer. I did an experiment here on my
SDR1000/XP system. I sent QBF's at 25WPM and
20WPM from a paddle, using a second receiver as a
side tone. In the past, I've found that even 20ms
or so - round trip delay from a mid-altitide (900
miles) OSCAR - made it impossible for me to send
CW via a keyer while using the downlink as a
sidetone. Thus, if there is several hundred ms of
latency in an SDR system, I should not be able to
send, using the second receiver as a sidetone.

My result is that I could detect no latency via
this experiment. I could send QBFs perfectly at
20WPM and limited only by my ability at 25wpm.
Thus, the latency on my SDR1000/XP system appears
to be less than a few tens of milliseconds. In my
case, the "three or four HUNDRED milliseconds" of
latency that you cite seems to not be credible.
Can you point me to a more complete description
of where the 300ms to 400ms number comes from?

73 de Glenn WB6W