[hpsdr] HPSDR / PowerSDR hardware selection

Michael White michael.white at zytac.com
Sun May 25 11:02:09 PDT 2008

Hi Eric

Great stuff regarding paging control. I would imagine there must be
something similar in the Windows API.

Am I right in thinking that Linux uses a co-operative task scheduler?,
I remember from years ago working on a Unix system that ran a time
slice system and then depended on co-operative code to release the
thread early.

I have seen many embedded system boards coming through these days
using light weight Linux, (like uClinux),, but as I understand it,
unix cannot be made pre-emptive for true real-time purposes. But so
much time has passed since the days I was playing with Unix it could
be that there is branch that can act as an RTOS.

I know the Analog Devices Blackfin processor is running uClinux as a
viable OS for DSP,. That  could be a really good open source platform
for Sasquatch with all the free toolchains.

Glenn is looking at dsPic, but I am not sure if that chip has an open
RTOS. I know there is a commercial one available.

Michael