[hpsdr] Latency

Glenn Thomas glennt at charter.net
Sun May 25 21:16:06 PDT 2008

Hi Shel.

Most any version of MS Windows is a poor choice
for a real time OS. Unfortunately, Windows is the
lowest common denominator - it's most everywhere,
rather like crabgrass. Windoze does most of the
tings an OS should do in a passable manner, but
excels at none, except possibly supporting the MS
marketing plan. Going to a Linux distro,
especially one that has been worked over to
provide better real time performance would help.
Some projects, notably IRLP, have done just that.

Perhaps someone on here more knowledgeable than I
can comment on the design criteria for Sasquatch
- which I believe is an embedded processor for
HPSDR. Running an embedded processor with no O/S
can provide the most "bang for the buck" in terms
of DSP processing. However, the downside of this
approach is a tendency to "lock in" whatever
processor is selected and make adoption of any
different future whiz-bang processor more difficult.

73 de Glenn wb6w