[hpsdr] 1 pps GPS

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Tue May 27 01:10:36 PDT 2008

Hi Joe,

No Joe, you did not miss an announcement - we have not done this as yet!

Your error on  10m and 6m seems consistent with what others are seeing.
The 10MHz TXCO on Penelope is intended to reduce any drift of the
122.88MHz clock rather than being the last word in accuracy. There are
multiple footprints for the TCXO on Penelope so one option would be to
replace it with one of a higher specification.

If you have an external 10MHz reference you can feed that into the
Altas bus on C16. Just see my recent post on this since you need to be
aware of levels and keeing the signal clean.

We, well mainly John N8UR,  are presently designing a simple Altas
board that will take an external 2.5/5/10/20MHz reference and enable it
to be interfaced to C16. It will also have an adjustable tuning voltage
so you can set an OCXO/VCXO on frequency or use an external GPS based
locking device etc. John gave a presentation at Dayton last week on
this in the TAPR forum - not sure if it was videoed or not. The board
will have an external power connection so the oscillator/oven can run
all the time if desired.

There is plenty of space left in the FPGA on Penelope so totally
feasible to add code to lock the 122.88MHz VCXO to a 1pps reference. I
expect we will need to make some serious modifications to the PLL
filter currently fitted to Penelope but apart from that all the
components are there.

I'm not sure if this is really a good idea since you really want to
leave the 122.88MHz clock running all the time since otherwise the lock
time could be quite long. Better to lock an external reference, that
runs all the time,  to the 1pps signal and feed that into the Atlas
bus.  There are others on the forum who have much more experience with
such systems than I do so perhaps they would care to comment.

BTW, Bill KD5TFD made the observation yesterday that there is really no
need to use 10MHz as a reference. Assuming a common factor between
122.88MHz and the reference then we can lock them together.

73's Phil...VK6APH