[hpsdr] Janus-Ozy Sound Card Driver [WDM]

Don N6MCE pleasedon at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:17:06 PDT 2008

For CW (and anything really) we want low latency driver.

To achieve low latency, ASIO drivers were developed in the audio
recording world.

ASIO drivers bypass Windows audio processing functions to achieve low
latency.
WDM, Windows Driver Model, is a class of Windows drivers that use
Windows audio processing functions, hence will always have more latency
than we want.

To be useful, we would like an ASIO Ozy+Janus driver, not a WDM driver.
Then we would ask ham software developers to provide standard ASIO
driver support in their applications.
With an ASIO driver, Ozy+Janus would be compatable with a host of higher
quality programs with ASIO driver interface.

If you Google ASIO low latency soundcard drivers
first search result is
http://www.usb-audio.com/
which tells more than I know about the subject.

I'm sure the Winrad and many others could expound at great length on
this subject.

Alas, this humble lurker will be quiet before more of my ignorance is shown.

Don  N6MCE