[hpsdr] Janus-Ozy Sound Card Driver [WDM]

Richard Faust dick_faust at hotmail.com
Sat May 31 13:48:40 PDT 2008

Greetings All,

The ASIO comment is interesting and will help to illustrate several points in my original post.
I have a Steinberg SDK for AISO 2.2, but have not as yet deployed.  I have used AISO4ALL [which I am reasonably sure was developed from Steinberg's SDK] and that program requires a WDM driver !  Point - ASIO and WDM are what some might loosely refer to as specifications, they define requirements to successfully communicate data.

Another point & my opinion is the net.framework that M$ uses on Windoze is what may be causing many problems associated with SDR and DSP.  This is a program interface that is primarilary designed for business database communications applications.  The program and its parts are huge and directly relate to the doze in windoze.  This is why I do not wish to use a net.framework development chain.

About the time of Win ME M$ changed from VxD style drivers to Windows Driver Model.  The Software Development Kits and the Driver Development Kits and the support from this point on offered reasonable chance success if you followed the 'specs' [this is M$ after all].  Currently the DDK's became WDF's to include Vista and net.framework.

Another interesting point is that PowerSDR appears to support WDM, ASIO, and what I choose to call 'OZY Protocall'.  'OZY Protocall' does not really have a specification [or at least one that is publicly available] - this is one of the items I am looking for so a WDM driver can be written.

If you look at the Windows Devices OZY is a "LibUSB-WIN32 Devices" which is a unique class which, for reasons unknown to me, does not necessarily follow any specific set of specifications.  If the class is changed to be a WDM Sound Card it will actually change location and appear properly in most programs [but alas will not work because it does not follow the 'spec' with out further information].  I suspect that most of the 'OZY Protocall' drivers and whatnot would be directly useable for a WDM interface if they were arranged and documented properly for the spec.  Thus a document that describes how to talk USB 'OZY' to Janus as a sound card from a PC would be very usefull and diminish the inevitable errors of reverse engineering the process.

An interesting possibility also may be possible where the WDM and 'OZY Protocall' could co-exsist on the same Atlas bus and PC to be used for different applications.  This possibility occures because of the class definitions treat them as two separate devices for communications.  Would eliminate buying another Janus-OZY setup for non PowerSDR apps if the WDM driver was available.

If there is an old posting describing why the driver was implemented as it was/is that would also be helpful to understand what changes might be required to meet the WDM requirements.

A technical description of how all of the HPSDR projects work and interface would also be usefull to more than just this type of project.

I do not think Don wants to take on the ASIO driver portion of development, but perhaps someone else would like that part.  May not be too bad if the WDM works.

73,
Dick K9IVB> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:17:06 -0700> To: hpsdr at hpsdr.org> CC: kk7p at wavecable.com; dick_faust at hotmail.com; wa2dfi at tapr.org> Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Janus-Ozy Sound Card Driver [WDM]> From: pleasedon at gmail.com> > For CW (and anything really) we want low latency driver.> > To achieve low latency, ASIO drivers were developed in the audio > recording world.> > ASIO drivers bypass Windows audio processing functions to achieve low > latency.> WDM, Windows Driver Model, is a class of Windows drivers that use > Windows audio processing functions, hence will always have more latency > than we want.> > To be useful, we would like an ASIO Ozy+Janus driver, not a WDM driver.> Then we would ask ham software developers to provide standard ASIO > driver support in their applications.> With an ASIO driver, Ozy+Janus would be compatable with a host of higher > quality programs with ASIO driver interface.> > If you Google ASIO low latency soundcard drivers> first search result is> http://www.usb-audio.com/> which tells more than I know about the subject.> > I'm sure the Winrad and many others could expound at great length on > this subject.> > Alas, this humble lurker will be quiet before more of my ignorance is shown.> > Don N6MCE> > > Lyle Johnson wrote:> > ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****> > > > Hello Dick!> > > > I don't know what WDM means, but if this is a driver so that Ozy+Janus > > is just a sound card for Windows, I think it would be very useful.> > > > Mercury may not need Janus, but any QSD/QSE system could certainly use it.> > > > 73,> > > > Lyle KK7P> > > > _______________________________________________> > HPSDR Discussion List> > To post msg: hpsdr at hpsdr.org> > Subscription help: http://lists.hpsdr.org/listinfo.cgi/hpsdr-hpsdr.org> > HPSDR web page: http://hpsdr.org> > Archives: http://lists.hpsdr.org/pipermail/hpsdr-hpsdr.org/> > >