[hpsdr] Penelope FPGA code

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Nov 5 16:26:10 PST 2008

Hi Ken,

Congratulations on building your Penelope board.  The FPGA code is
available via SVN at:

svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/Penelope

There are a number of ways of loading the code into the FPGA.

1. Use the Altera Quartus software with a ByteBlaster or USB Blaster
(you can home brew the former or I suggest buying a much cheaper clone
for the latter).
Program the EEPROM using the header on the Penelope board.

2. If you just have an Altera JTAG program then use the technique
described in the Altera application note (sorry don't have the
reference on this PC). This enables you to programm the EEPROM FPGA
boot device via JTAG.

3. If you don't have a JTAG programmer then you can make Ozy look like
a USB Blaster - Quartus will detect it as such and you program Penelope
over the Atlas bus.  Bill, KD5TFD,  and I have tested this before but
it was a while ago and I for one have forgotten the exact steps
involved.

BTW one of our members is working on some code that will enable you to
load the EEPROM/CLPD of any board on the Atlas bus via a simple PC
program.

Please let us know if you need any more assistance.

73's Phil...VK6APH