[hpsdr] HPSDR Update

Don - ki6fom dbk-forums at cox.net
Mon Nov 17 20:36:33 PST 2008

In the words of Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) "Oh... Thats very
different. NEVERMIND!"

I will now go back to wringing my hands and salivating in anticipation
of my "precious".

Thanks for all your contributions maestro!

-don

Phil Harman wrote:

> Don,
>
> A slight misunderstanding here. What I meant to say was that Mercury
> will operate as a spectrum analyser from 0-55MHz as is - see the Wiki
> under Cyclops for a screen shot of it in action. It's only if you want
> to use it in conjunction with Cyclops (to give 0 - 1000MHz)as a 96MHz
> second IF that you bypass the LPF.
>
> If you want to use it with Cyclops AND a 160-6m receiver then you
> would connect to Mercury past the input LPF when used with Cyclops
> and as normal via the antenna socket for 160-6m.
>
> We did spend a lot of time and effort trying to switch both the
> pre-amp and LPF out of circuit using either jumpers or a relay.  This
> compromised both the noise floor and introduced some spurs - neither
> of which were acceptable.
>
> Hope that clarifies the situation and you can now enjoy your coffee!
>
> 73's Phil....VK6APH
>

> Quoting Don - ki6fom <dbk-forums at cox.net>:
>
>> Is anyone else as upset by this as I am? Mercury is an expensive
>> board and one
>> of the things that convinced me to spend the money was that it could
>> also be used
>> to provide me with a piece of test equipment that has always been
>> beyond my reach.
>> When I saw that if I wanted to have the spectrum analyzer function I
>> have to spend
>> another $360 dollars for a second instance of a board I had already
>> ordered (in addition
>> to cyclops) I almost choked on my coffee.
>>
>> Perhaps I was being naive but I'd like to understand why it worked
>> out this way as
>> it pretty much puts the spectrum analyzer out of my budget. Phil, can
>> you be a little
>> more specific on the trade offs involved?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Don - KI6FOM
>>

>> Phil Harman wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. I have a prototype of Cyclops working and the performance looks very
>>> good. I'm using Mercury at 96MHz as the second IF. To do so I bypass
>>> the
>>> 55MHz LPF on the front end, this is a permanent by-pass and not