[hpsdr] TI, Sasquatch, etc.

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:28:47 PDT 2008

The OMAP contains the TI DSP part and it is not a C67xx.  It is C64x and all
integer.  What the Omap has in the Beagle Board is ARMv7a (later model than
ARM11, confusing nomenclature).  It has Neon which is a SIMD engine that can
do floating point quite efficiently.

The OMAP-LXX parts have the C67XX but it does not have the camera interface,
or  OpenGL 2D/3D hardware acceleration and DVI-D driver.

In my opinion, these parts from TI, accompanied by their release of tools
for free as in beer strongly mitigate doing the low power SDR and stand
alone SDR using these parts.  They are MUCH easier to deal with than the
dsPIC33.  The OMAP-L137 uses 0.5w at 300 Mhz with 300 MHz on the floating
point DSP and is an ARM9.  It has multiple 16550 UARTS, all supported by
DMA.  It has USB.

Both would be good.  The OMAP3530 uses more power and costs five times as
much at digikey (55 dollars versus about 10 for the L137).

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"Trample the slow ....  Hurdle the dead"