[hpsdr] Resoldering the ADC on Mercury

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 8 09:37:09 PDT 2009

Todd:

Are you really sure you have a problem?

That is a very expensive board, and you don't want to hurt it,
particularly if it is working OK.  Just because the IC and the back
side heat pad are hot to the touch, and you can't hold your fingers
on them more than two seconds does not mean that you have
a problem.  It just means that they are above 128 degrees F.

I would not do anything to the board without temperature
data.

Just because the through-hole is open at the top (back-side heat pad)
of the PC board, does not mean that you have a soldering
problem.  Reflow soldering is NOT intended to fill the through
holes.  In fact if all of the through holes were filled, it is indicative
of a soldering problem (unless the board went through a special
process intended to fill the holes.)

If you have an inspection microscope, look at the bottom
of each through hole (down by the heat pad at the IC, and yes
they are small holes.)  If the hole is not filled, but there is a
meniscus  at the bottom of each hole, then the reflow soldering
process did its job, and you do not have a soldering problem.

If you want to fill the through holes to increase heat flow to
the back side heat pad, then you will need a temperature controlled
soldering iron.  I would personally recommend that you not
go above about 660 deg F., use a good flux, good tin-lead
eutectic solder, and limit your working time to 30 seconds or so
to not start cooking the board.

But my real advise is to not do anything unless you are sure
you have a problem.  Those ICs are designed to live longer than
you will, running at temperatures that you consider hot to the touch.

--- Graham / KE9H

==