[hpsdr] (no subject)

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 07:57:28 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Kirk Weedman <kirk at hdlexpress.com> wrote:

> I just looked at the website and see the following in regard to what you are talking about.
>
> "The rationale behind the project is to break the overall design up into a number of modules. Each module is designed by an individual or group and connects to other modules using a pre-defined and common bus -- rather like plugging boards into a PC motherboard"
>
> Maybe this statement should change if Hermes is going to be a project.  Hermes an interesting idea as you say, as some people might like having a Mercury/Penelope/Ozy all on one board.  As stated  above, I would agree that Hermes doesn't really fit the Project Description listed on the website home page.
>
> However, I dont think this new board will slow down the work being done on Penelope, Mercury, and Ozy as I have been concentrating on changing the Verilog for these boards and teaching others how they can get involved and work on them too.  Maybe some of those I have been teaching are wanting to get involved in a new board like this.  I will stay focused on Mercury, Penelope and Ozy (1 and 2) for the immediate future so I don't think they will suffer from this new introduction which I haven't even looked at.
>
> Kirk Weedman  KD7IRS

Changing the verilog in Penelope, Mercury, and Ozy is only part of the
work to be done.  There is the firmware and software that must be
written to support a new project like this.  All that needs to be tied
together and, as far as I know, there is only one guy actually
actively doing the software/firmware support for Mercury, Penelope,
Ozy, Janus, etc... in PowerSDR (Bill Tracey).

Phil N8VB