[hpsdr] Thor

Jeroen Bastemeijer j.bastemeijer at tudelft.nl
Thu Apr 16 01:14:04 PDT 2009

Hi Phil,

After a winter-sleep of Demeter ;-) , I'm catching up with the design
process.  (The process got stuck, due to a professional work-overload.)

One of the problems I'm seeing is designing a low noise switcher with a
smalle differenc between the input and the output. Therefor, I'm
exploring a new concept, which consists of a first switcher which
transforms the input voltage up to a higher voltage (range 24... 48V)
and then converts it back to the voltages we need (5V, 12V, -12V and if
necessary 3.3V). This higher voltage has some other advantages as well.

The nice thing is that the higher voltage could be used for a
high-efficiency class E PA. I assume, a normal PA would run from 13.8V
or the battery directly. However, a high effeiciency class E-amplifier,
like Thor, needs a voltage of 40...48V. The switcher allows the use of
Thor for mobile operation! A situation where one certainly wants to have
a high efficiency PA.

My quick question to you is: Can you give an estimate of the voltage
(and power) requirement of Thor?

Thank you, 73 Jeroen PE1RGE