[hpsdr] Penelope Output power problem (HELP PLEASE)

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 24 07:46:08 PDT 2009

Steve:

The DAC is currently set to put out a current of about 20 mA, which into
a 200 Ohm transformer
would produce about 4.4 Volts peak to peak, EXCEPT that the output stage
of the DAC
hard clips at +/- 1.1 Volts.  The power control loop in the FPGA further
limits the level
to keep the output out of clip.  T3 is a 2:1 voltage (4:1 impedance)
step down transformer, so results
in 600 to 700 mV peak to peak at JP3, with the power/control loop at
maximum.

(I was in error the other day when I said 1.2 Volt, I was thinking of
the voltage at the input to
the transformer.)

Look for DC voltage on the two DAC output lines.  They should both be
held at 0 Volts
by the transformer.  If there is any DC voltage, there is a problem with
T3, or solder joints.

--- Graham / KE9H