[hpsdr] Odd Mercury behavior

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 28 19:42:56 PDT 2009

Hi Graham,
Well, tonight it was a lot cooler in the shack and only noticed the problem once or twice so it sure seems temperature related. I'll look at R37 on the schematic and try the things you suggest.
Over the weekend I took a quarter inch wide by one inch strip of copper flashing and bent it around a rod in a circle. Then I soldered it to the A/D thermal pad. That hunk of copper runs pretty hot. I can hold my finger on it for about 5 seconds before it hurts. I will be making something bigger because I'm weird about hot parts. Yes, I know what the spec says and the rel data.
I looked at the applications on the A/D and Buffer. Factory has two series resistors and a cap across the A/D between them. They say the resistors swamp the inductance of the part wire bonds to kill any resonant effects. We have series inductors in place of the resistors???.
When I get the problem it is just like you don't have any clocks selected. The noise floor comes up to around -50 dBM and hangs there.  Good clue.
I am running the latest software and no other applications. CPU running around 10%.
I'm running dual dual core 2.4 GHz Dell with 1 g of ram.
Phil sent me an interesting program to monitor how busy the machine is. Usualy sits near the floor unless I am selecting buttons on the power SDR screen. I also run without the network connected.
I have not changed anything in a couple weeks the only thing was the WX was pretty hot the past few days. Frank WA1GFZ