[hpsdr] Odd Mercury behavior

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Apr 29 04:53:44 PDT 2009

Hi Frank and Graham,

I have two Mercury boards.  One sometimes exhibits the behavior you
describe (especially on a cold start, for me) and the other does not.
I have discovered that on the offending unit the 122.88 MHz osc is
very "touch" sensitive and sensitive to mechanical strain put on the
case of the osc module and the osc will actually quit sometimes if you
stress the case only slightly;  the non-offending unit doesn't do
that.  Also, the offending Mercury osc module is  much more
temperature sensitive (relative to cold spray) than the non-offending
Mercury.

Perhaps the 122.88 MHz osc module is a bit flaky on Frank's Mercury
too (?).  It might be worth a look.

73,  Joe K5SO