[hpsdr] Possible Beagleboard alternative?

Vern Kollas spoonman1227 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 16:22:01 PDT 2009

Good evening to all....

I was just pondering a few things and thought I would bounce my ideas off of everyone here and see what you thought...

I have been debating on getting a beagleboard to play around with since it seems to be a good mate to the HPSDR project. I know it has been mentioned many times here and I think I have even responded to some of them.  However, every time I check DigiKey, they are sold out of them.  I have read elsewhere that Digikey gets sent a certain number of boards per week, but they always seem to be out whenever I check.

Now... Here is the fun part.  I was searching around on the beagleboard.org site and found this.

http://www.kwikbyte.com/KBOC.html

The part I really liked is that it is just a board with a couple of "stack connectors" on the bottom.  The site states that it is fully compatible with the beagleboard and with its design, it just begs to be mated to a board that can plug into Atlas.  They also have a "Base Board" that breaks out everything to standard connectors, much like the beagleboard has, plus more,  for development.

http://www.kwikbyte.com/KBOC_BB1.html

It does end up at a slightly higher cost than the beagleboard, however I think in the end it is cheaper than getting the beagleboard and all of the necessary cables, adaptors and such to actually start using it.

So... the question is, what do you think?? Would this be more useful than the standard beagleboard?  Is anyone still even considering the use of  a beagleboard and I have just missed that conversation?

73!!

Vern -- KC8YOH