[hpsdr] multiple receivers - is it really necessary

Mike Hamel mike at hrselectronics.com
Sun Aug 2 08:23:52 PDT 2009

At the risk of maybe dragging this thread too far from the intended
topic, I had been thinking that one of the possible "big picture"
capabilities of multiple SDR stations located within a few miles of each
other could be a scenario where they share streaming raw data over the
net in such a way as to create an effectively huge aperture antenna for
receiving DX.

Packet timestamping, phase alignment and the consequences of net latency
would make it a bit off from "real-time" but it seems like it should be
possible with internet connected SDRs.

Each idle SDR could give some BW for the "shared pool" of data to be
aggregated.

I haven't a clue how this 'pie in the sky' could be implemented but it
seems like an eventual future capability.

/$0.02

Mike
WO1U