[hpsdr] multiple receivers - is it really necessary

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 2 09:33:24 PDT 2009

Mike:

There are techniques that do this, see

http://www.gpstime.com/

and read the "Timing for VLBI -2009"  presentation by Tom Clark (K3IO),
and Rick Hambly (W2GPS).

They are time stamping radio astronomy signals to (sub) nanosecond
accuracies
and can ship recorded signals from western China back to the US, and then
assemble and post process them into "Very Long Base Line" received signals,
with an aperture equal to the diameter of the earth. Using GPSDOs as the
discipline and sync for an accurate time base.

Just time stamping to several nanosecond accuracy is enough to recover phase
information for HF signals.

So, if every member of the Austin Amateur Radio Club made his home station
available to the club station as one element of a phased array antenna
system
during a contest...

Is it single operator or multi operator?

Is it limited to 1500 Watts transmit power per licensed location, or
"just" 1500 Watts
total for the entire networked "antenna."

What if members of this list, in different countries, did the same thing?

:-)

--- Graham / KE9H

==