[hpsdr] thor

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 10:36:33 PDT 2009

Steve:

I think that in the context of European Electrical Safety rules,
which are the most stringent globally, that it is possible
to do off line switching, but when you do that, all parts of
the electrical system connected to the off line switcher power
supply become subject to the voltage breakdown isolation and
isolation tracking distances for the primary or line side of the power
supply.  From memory, this means that all parts of the circuit need
to observe some two centimeters isolation clearance to ground
and to any operator connected conductive surfaces, etc.

So, technically, you can do it.  And Phil's washing machine
probably complies.  But since I personally would find it
challenging to build a RF PA where all connections to the power
supply, including the power supply ground, had to be isolated
from the real/safetyRF ground by some 2 cm tracking distance, I would
personally use a power transformer and restrict the safety
compliance issues to the primary side of the transformer.

The rules apply to commercially manufactured and sold items.
I have no idea how the regulations apply to home built
equipment.

--- Graham / KE9H

==