[hpsdr] thor

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Fri Aug 21 12:28:37 PDT 2009

Hello all.

All the Switch mode PSU´s I know have a transformer to insolate the mains
 from the equipment. The mains are rectified and then regulated with a
transistor (FET) via a transformer. By using a higher frequency for the
switcher, it can be smaller than one for 50 or 60 Hz. The feedback is with
an optocoupler or inductive in some way. It is not permitted to connect
the unit directly to the mains without a galvanic insulstor in between.
This also apply to a washing machine..... (and for safety, also for home
built equipment!!)
The Motor in the washing machine runs directly on the mains, but the
galvanic insulation is intact.

73, Kjell LA2NI

På Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:36:33 +0200, skrev Graham / KE9H
<KE9H at austin.rr.com>:

> Steve:
>
> I think that in the context of European Electrical Safety rules,
> which are the most stringent globally, that it is possible
> to do off line switching, but when you do that, all parts of
> the electrical system connected to the off line switcher power
> supply become subject to the voltage breakdown isolation and
> isolation tracking distances for the primary or line side of the power
> supply.  From memory, this means that all parts of the circuit need
> to observe some two centimeters isolation clearance to ground
> and to any operator connected conductive surfaces, etc.
>
> So, technically, you can do it.  And Phil's washing machine
> probably complies.  But since I personally would find it
> challenging to build a RF PA where all connections to the power
> supply, including the power supply ground, had to be isolated
> from the real/safetyRF ground by some 2 cm tracking distance, I would
> personally use a power transformer and restrict the safety
> compliance issues to the primary side of the transformer.
>
> The rules apply to commercially manufactured and sold items.
> I have no idea how the regulations apply to home built
> equipment.
>
> --- Graham / KE9H
>
> ==
>
> Steven Doyle wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> We are considering rectifying striaght off the mains, but the prototype
>> has a transformer, noise issues asside the main reason being the
>> voltage at the FET drain can typically reach 3-4 times the supply
>> voltage which exceeds the break down voltage of most of the popular
>> power FETS. We are using a 120VDC supply in the prototype.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of any legal issues with rectifing stright off the
>> mains. I will investigate this.
>>
>> 73s
>>
>> Steve
>> G1YLB
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Harman" <phil at pharman.org>

>>> direction. You need a wide enough  LPF to pass this signal but still