[hpsdr] Cascading ADC/FPGA Pairs

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 14:22:26 PDT 2009

Hi Van:
I resent you a copy, offline, of my email from yesterday where I think I
answered
your questions. So, what you can get out of a highly parallel FPGA
managing 5ea. 16 bit A->D converters is  5x16=80 bits of info at
200 MegaSamples per second, which I don't think the downstream
signal processing will care is in that format versus 16 bits at 1000
MegaSamples
per second, since one of the early things you do with it is decimate it.

I am guessing that one FPGA could handle more
A-D's if the number of available phase steps is adequate.  The issue is more
likely the smearing of values in time in the front end of the A->Ds since
they were designed to sample 5 or 6 ns wide samples, and we would be
asking them to sample 1 ns wide samples.

--- Graham

==