[hpsdr] Mac initozy - ghpsdr question

Roger Rehr 73w3sz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:39:49 PDT 2009

Hello, All,

This is a long post.

Delete now if you are not interested in a mac/ghpsdr question, as that
is what this email is.

I decided to play around today with ghpsdr [svn 1098], my iMac, and my
Ozy/Mercury/Penelope combo.

I found that I have a problem where using initozy from the ghpsdr/bin/
mac directory leads to block read errors and no visible/audible output
from ghpsdr.  When I instead use initozy from my windows installation
to initialize ozy, I get distorted audio output from Mercury [lots of
pops and some warbling], but I CAN understand voice and copy CW thru
the distortion.  The details are here:

The iMac is a fresh system running OS X 10.5 [not snow leopard] and I
had to install some prerequesites for ghpsdr, for which I used
Porticus [a gui frontend for MacPorts]:
fftw-3-single
gtk2
libusb-1.0.2_0

I also downloaded libusb-0.1.12.tar.gz from sourceforge.  That
installs libusb-0.1.4.dylib, which seems to be required for the
initozy contained in ghpsdr/bin/mac.  I say this because when I had
only libusb-1.0.2 installed, initozy complained that it couldn't find
libusb-0.1.4.dylib, and installing 0.1.12 quieted those error messages.

My iMac versions of initozy, loadFPGA, loadFW, Ozy_Janus.rbf, ozyfw-
sdr1k.hex and write_i2c are all from John's directory ~/ghpsdr/bin/
mac, downloaded today  from: svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/
trunk/N6LYT/ghpsdr.

I am using:
Ozy FX2 version: 20090524
Ozy software version: 16
Mercury software version:  27
Penelope software version: 12.

After setting things up, I went to the directory ~/ghpsdr/bin/mac,
created from the above repository, and ran ./initozy and got the
following terminal output:

roger-rehrs-imac:mac 73w3sz$ ./initozy
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
ResetCPU(true).......returns 1
HPSDR_UploadFirmware: Processed 742 lines.
UploadFirmware('ozyfw-sdr1k.hex')......returns 742
ResetCPU(false).......returns 1
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
111083 bytes transferred.
LoadFPGA succeeded!
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
  ***** Write to I2C Failed ***** I2C Bytes written = 0
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2
usb_find_busses returned: 4
usb_find_devices returned: 12
I2C Bytes written = 2

Which I thought was 'AOK'.

Then I ran ./ghpsdr [John's precompiled binary] from the same
directory and got:

roger-rehrs-imac:mac 73w3sz$ ./ghpsdr
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-Jsc0aL/:0".
ghpsdr Version 0.3
Ozy FX2 version: 20090524
iphone_thread
iphone_thread: listen
iphone_thread: accept
audio_stream_thread
audio_stream_thread: listen
audio_stream_thread: accept
ozy_ep6_ep2_io_thread: OzyBulkRead read failed -99
ozy_ep6_ep2_io_thread: OzyBulkRead read failed -99
etc.

I saw no signal on the panafall and got no audio.

Ghpsdr said that I had the following firmware versions installed:

Ozy FX2 version: 20090524
Ozy software version: 0  		[but the actual version is 16]
Mercury software version: 0 	[but the actual version is 27]
Penelope software version: 0 	[but the actual version is 12]

I surmised that the problem was with initozy, and so I tried
initializing the HPSDR in windows instead of on the iMac, using the
initozy there, and confirming that it [ozy/mercury/penelope] worked OK
with PowerSDR on the windows machine, and then moving the Ozy USB
cable from the windows PC over to the iMac.  Doing this, I get the
following terminal output when I start ghpsdr on the iMac:

Last login: Fri Aug 28 14:54:26 on ttys000
roger-rehrs-imac:~ 73w3sz$ cd /ghpsdr/bin/mac
roger-rehrs-imac:mac 73w3sz$ ./ghpsdr
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-Jsc0aL/:0".
ghpsdr Version 0.3
Ozy FX2 version: 20090524
   Mercury Software version: 27 (0x1B)
   Penelope Software version: 12 (0xC)
   Ozy Software version: 16 (0x10)
   Mercury Software version: 104 (0x68)
   Penelope Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Ozy Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Mercury Software version: 27 (0x1B)
   Penelope Software version: 12 (0xC)
   Ozy Software version: 16 (0x10)
   Mercury Software version: 104 (0x68)
   Penelope Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Ozy Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Mercury Software version: 27 (0x1B)
   Penelope Software version: 12 (0xC)
   Ozy Software version: 16 (0x10)
   Mercury Software version: 105 (0x69)
   Penelope Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Ozy Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Mercury Software version: 27 (0x1B)
   Penelope Software version: 12 (0xC)
   Ozy Software version: 16 (0x10)
   Mercury Software version: 105 (0x69)
   Penelope Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Ozy Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Mercury Software version: 27 (0x1B)
   Penelope Software version: 12 (0xC)
   Ozy Software version: 16 (0x10)

Note the varying value for the Mercury Software version!!

After I while I get output regarding the iphone and audio_stream
threads.

  Mercury Software version: 104 (0x68)
   Penelope Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Ozy Software version: 0 (0x0)
iphone_thread
   Mercury Software version: 27 (0x1B)
audio_stream_thread
iphone_thread: listen
   Penelope Software version: 12 (0xC)
audio_stream_thread: listen
iphone_thread: accept
   Ozy Software version: 16 (0x10)
audio_stream_thread: accept
   Mercury Software version: 104 (0x68)
   Penelope Software version: 0 (0x0)
   Ozy Software version: 0 (0x0)

With the windows-initialized-HPSDR running ghpsdr on the iMac, I do
get audio from Mercury, but it is distorted with lots of pops and
occasional warbling [running at 48K, and worse if running at 96 or 192
KHz of course].  As noted above, I CAN copy both voice and CW thru the
distortion.

The LED pattern on Mercury is the same with both forms of
initialization [from windows or the iMac]:
D3 is ON and D9 and D10 blink.

The LED pattern on Ozy is NOT the same with the two forms of
initialization:
With Windows initozy LEDs 1 and 9 blink and 2,5,7,8,12 are ON.
With iMac initozy, LEDs 1 and 9 blink, and 5,7,8,12 are ON.
So 2 is ON for windows, off for iMac initozy.

To my eye, the initozy files from the Windows svn and John's /bin/mac
directory look like they do the same thing.  I do not get a var/log/
ozy.log file generated when I run initozy on the iMac.  So I don't
know what is causing the problem on the iMac.

Everything works perfectly with PowerSDR on Windows XP.

Thanks for any suggestions as to what I need to do differently/
measure, and

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ