[hpsdr] Mercury during transmit.

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 31 17:25:01 PDT 2009

David:

I totally agree with your analysis.

My mis-adventure keying 16 Watts into the front end for 30 seconds
resulted in D1 smoking and one of the internal diodes inside D1
failed, requiring its replacement.  No other damage to Mercury was
observed.  I absolutely don't recommend it for anyone's else's Mercury.

It was just an anecdotal report, to illustrate that the appearance of the
"overload light" does not indicate damage to the radio.  Damage occurs
at much, much higher levels.

I have another anecdotal report.  I just repaired a Mercury for Connie, N4GC
that reportedly took a "nearby" lightening hit.  D1 was cracked, and the
leads
were discolored as if the tin had melted on the leads.  There was a black
"smoke ring" on the PC board surrounding D1.  Upon desoldering D1, it fell
apart into three pieces. It also turns out that the input low pass
filter, FL1
had also shorted, resulting in very low sensitivity.  Upon replacing the
parts,
his Mercury works normally.  No apparent damage to the relay, input
attenuator,
the preamp IC or data converter.

--- Graham / KE9H

==