[hpsdr] Call for review/collaboration Open VNWA (al la DG8SAQ)

Rob Frohne frohro at wallawalla.edu
Mon Dec 28 09:13:04 PST 2009

Greetings!

As a result of not being able to negotiate a purchase through SDR-Kits
(because we couldn't agree on terms 11-16 in the purchase agreement
regarding openness)

http://www.sdr-kits.net/VNWA/SDR-Kits_orderingterms.pdf

and because I need eight analyzers for our Analog Electronics
Laboratory, I have begun an open design based closely on Tom Baier's
(DG8SAQ) wonderful and very innovative work.

http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/

This analyzer utilizes the spurs that are produced by the DDS oscillator
to extend the range far beyond the fundamental range of the DDS in a way
also described by Sam Wetterlin.

http://wetterlin.org/sam/

This email is to solicit collaboration and review of my design before
the circuit board layout is done.  If you have already purchased an
analyzer, please read your purchase agreement before joining this
discussion.  It may limit how you can assist.

I have sent this email to three mailing lists:
VNWA
hpsdr
and softrock40
because it could be of use to folk on all those lists.  Probably further
discussion would be more appropriate on a single list, possibly the VNWA
list if it is welcome there, or if not, perhaps on the hpsdr list.  I'd
appreciate direction regarding where the discussion should occur.

My Kicad design files can be downloaded at:

http://people.wallawalla.edu/~Rob.Frohne/VNWA/DG8SAQ-KL7NA-VNA.tar.gz

These files have been produced without seeing any schematic of Tom's
analyzer, but I attempted to make it as compatible as possible given the
information that Tom and others have shared on the web.

73 & Happy New Year!

Rob, KL7NA

--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.