[hpsdr] Penelope

Merv Thomas vk6bmt at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 30 23:12:19 PST 2009

Hi Phil,

I have removed U4 which is the 3.3v regulator chip-internal short as
pin(out)reads direct short to pin(gnd).

More disturbing is that the pad that pin 2(output)solders to is a dead short
to earth and this seems to be as a result of the via, which is within the
silkscreen area for this chip, is connected to the output pad and is
probably meant to go to the middle pcb layer without being connected to the
bottom layer gnd plane.  If this is so then I appear to have a dead short on
all pins/components that access this 3.3v supply.

Am I right in thinking the Penny pcb is at least a 3 layer board, one of
which carries the 3.3v supply to the various components?

Regards,

Merv  VK6BMT

PS I'll also post this on the HPSDR Digest.