[hpsdr] Penelope

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 31 06:28:37 PST 2009

Merv:
cc: Phil.

Although you will not like this answer, the most common reason
for a short to ground on the 3.3V regulator output is a shorted
FPGA. All of the I/O drivers in the FPGA are powered directly from
3.3 Volts.

The regulator has a current limit/thermal overload circuit in it that
protects itself and the board.  So if the regulator is running hot
and the output dropped to a fraction of a volt, it is just doing
its job, and is not damaged.

Damage from static electricity, or plugging and un-plugging the
boards with power still applied to Atlas are the most likely
causes.  Observe anti-static precautions when handling, plugging
and un-plugging the cards to protect the FPGAs.

--- Graham / KE9H

==