[hpsdr] Penny DB25 Pin 25 Open Collector Return

Rajiv Dewan, N2RD n2rd at arrl.net
Thu Dec 31 18:40:58 PST 2009

I am trying to interface the Elecraft XV series of transverters to the
Penny.  I noticed that I am getting just 0.17v on pin 25 of the DB25
connector on the Penny.  Looking at the schematic and the board, it
appears that Pin 9 of the ULN2003 is only connected to pin 25 of the
DB25 connector and not connected to V+ at all.   Is this correct?  Do I
have to apply external power to pin 25 to use the open collector outputs?

On the X2 connector of SDR1K, the collector reference was internally
connected to V+.  It appears not be so for the Penny.

Also, I want to use 4 transverters with 28MHz IF. Can these be mapped to
the Penny outputs?  I notice that Penny setup only lists bands up to 2m.

Raj, N2RD