[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:00:02 PST 2009

David --

 This is much more the way I feel about what we are trying to accomplish.
We want to define how part of the program communicate and then build code
that tries those interfaces and then modifies as we find better ways to
accomplish tasks.  I would like to capture the existing condition as well as
develop new ideas.

We have a defacto standard, which powerSDR, Kiss Konsole, ghpsdr, ghpsdr3
and acorn-sr are currently using to talk to the hpsdr hardware.  It is
defined in the USB document and copies of which can be found on the Athena
wiki page and on the svn in Documents section.

As for the other server to client powerSDR, Kiss Konsole, ghpsdr currently
do not support this idea.  ghpsdr3 and acorn-sr do support a server client
connection.  Since acorn-sr uses lots of other folks libraries and ghpsdr3
is C code on our svn, I will start with describing how ghpsdr3 works.
ghpsdr3 is just one way of accomplishing the job but is working code and it
has been submitted to our SVN.

I plan to put illustrated descriptions of the communication layers on the
Athena wiki in the near future.  Then we can pull together a experimenters
subset with some simple examples.

As you point out,  this is a hobby and it should be fun!

  Dave, KV0S

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, David McQuate <mcquate at sonic.net> wrote:

> Many thoughtful comments have been posted!
>
> As one who has long appreciated the concept of separating diverse
> functions--hardware interface, signal processing, user interface, (ok, I've
> been in sdr for a scant year) but who also shys from complexity, may I
> suggest that simply defining the interface between these functions would
> allow almost immediate exploitation and exploration.  (ie fun!)  While a
> business may need to carefully define everything before implementing
> anything, amateurs can affort the "inefficiency" of some jumping in to give
> something a try, while others methodically define the longer term standards.
>
> Anyone willing to post some (preliminary) protocol specs?  (Let's discuss!)
>
> How about some example code fragments on how to send & receive TCP and UDP?
>
> Are there other "channels" that should be considered in addition to TCP /
> UDP?
>
> 73,
> Dave / wa8ywq

KV0S - Dave Larsen