[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Murray Lang murray.lang at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 2 17:21:49 PST 2009

Hi John,

Web services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service) spring to mind
first up. The nice thing about them is that your API is defined  in a
language-and-platform-neutral text file (WSDL). There are utilities that
read these files to generate proxies that can be incorporated into your
client program. The WSDL file also separates API definitions form
transport binding definitions, and tools such as Web Services Invocation
Framework (http://ws.apache.org/wsif/) exploit this to plug in various
transports underneath, including direct linking to code.

How you associate such services to media streaming is a custom job I
think. However, before going straight into low level socket programming
for media streaming , have a look at what's already out there (eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media http://osflash.org/red5
etc). Obviously whatever encoding is used will have to be lossless and
this might limit the options.

Back to the command interface, there are other possibilities as well
such as Message Queuing (eg ActiveMQ, MSMQ, JMS, AMS etc). Frank
mentioned XMPP, which was first developed for the Jabber project, which
is an instant messaging framework. It is likely that the data passed
through these channels would be XML. This has exciting possibilities
because a command structure defined in XML would have wide application.
Also, being text means that endian issues go away. The messy part about
using MQ however is that replies to commands have to be returned through
a completely separate message queue. This is a can of worms.

You might also want to consider .NETs WCF Windows Communication
Foundation. Thanks to the open source MONO project, this approach
doesn't necessarily tie you to Microsoft and Intel. It would blend in
nicely with the work done on KISS Konsole.

Other outside possibilities are MODBUS and SNMP, but I don't think these
would scale very well.

73,
Murray VK6HL