[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Tue Dec 1 08:30:31 PST 2009

May I give a very personal comment on what I have recently read about a
proposed new SDR architecture,
be it modeled along the FSM document or similar lines ?

Who is the average hobbyist developer of an SDR program ? More often
than not, he is what could be
called a 'lone wolf'... he develops things according to his personal
vision of how things should be developed...
it is not easy to force him into a pre-built structure and architecture...

This can be done instead easily in the commercial world, where
developers are paid, and work not for their own
intimate pleasure, but to earn their salary...  the perspective is
different.... if the specs of the project say :
"You must implement a message-passing architecture, where the client and
server talk to each other using
the Occam protocol (...)", then he will do it, because he is paid to do it.

But it takes much more to have him implement such a thing if the
motivation behind his work is that of self
accomplishment, and personal rewarding when he admires the product of
his efforts....

He will do that only if he himself is convinced that that is that right
way to do it, not because someone else
decided it, but because that decision happens to be coincident with his
personal decision....

Hobbyist, open source project cannot and should not, IMHO, managed as it
would be right to do for a
commercial project... otherwise they are doomed to failure....

But, as said, these are just my personal feelings, which, probably, are
all wrong.
But I just wanted to expose them....

73  Alberto  I2PHD