[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Bob Cowdery bob at bobcowdery.plus.com
Tue Dec 1 09:51:46 PST 2009

I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head Alberto. Flex for
example have to have a software product and if they don't have a clear
idea of where they are headed and a clear architecture they will
flounder. There has to be an 'architect' who gives that direction and is
strong enough to maintain a position on all the important aspects. I've
never found architecture design by committee works too well as there
will never be a consensus.

As for hobbyists there are parts that they will take with open arms like
DttSp as a component of an SDR that is pretty hard for most of us to
write. But to swallow a whole architecture is asking a lot as I think
many want to be free to try new things, new tools, new languages and to
experiment with different ways to do things.

IMHO some SDR component ware, which would do the difficult things like
DSP and provide efficient, simple, and robust interfaces to audio
streams and SDR hardware would be a real help to many if at the right
level of granularity. Components should be cross platform and be
language, and infrastructure agnostic (or at least hide any
infrastructure they use). The wiring up and presentation can be left to
individual taste.

Just my opinion of course and not meant to deter anyone from doing what
they think is right.

73's
Bob
G3UKB