[hpsdr] optimum Tx image rejection in DUC?

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Sat Dec 26 19:37:20 PST 2009

The reason one has to deal with image rejection on QSD/QSE  is
because you've got IQ in the analog domain and the two analog
channels are always slightly different so the perfect quadrature
relationship between IQ cannot be maintained since the I and Q analog
channels will always be slightly different from each other - just the
nature of having two different analog channels.

In the DDC/DUC architecture you don't have IQ in the analog world,
just a plain old real signal (only one channel).  The IQ stuff all
happens in the digital domain  - since it's all math, there's no
difference between the I and Q channel processing so no image
issues.  This is not to say it's perfect ... it's only as perfect as
the number of bits used in the processing and A/D and D/A channels.

Regards,

Bill