[hpsdr] VMs and USB2

Bob Cowdery bob at bobcowdery.plus.com
Thu Feb 5 14:23:10 PST 2009

I should have done these very simple tests before I started but
hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I copied a 288MB file from a USB stick to my hard drive. All systems are
reporting a USB device at 480Mbps (although it's hard to get info out of
XP).

On my host Ubuntu system this takes 12 seconds.
On the VM's both Ubuntu and XP it took 45 seconds.

This is 4 x slower so it should equate to about 120Mbps. In practise we
seem to be going about 1/2 speed anyway accounting for protocol, the
stick itself and disc write times I suppose that's reasonable.

Why would this not be way more than is needed to transfer 48k at 24 bits
and 48k back at 16 bits. What am I missing here?

73
Bob
G3UKB