[hpsdr] VMs and USB2

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 5 15:00:07 PST 2009

Bob:

First, you have an I signal and a Q signal, so double your
inbound data rates, then add something for overhead signalling.

But I suspect the bigger issue is latency/response time.
If your VM machine assigns the USB to Windows for a
while, then goes away and does other things for a while,
you could have full rate for one fourth of the time, and
nothing for 3/4 of the time. If the nothing period is longer
than a frame period, then the system will start dropping frames.

If PowerSDR is ready to process the next block of data,
and it is not there, then it seems to substitute a silent frame,
and keeps moving. Your ear interprets this as distortion.

So you have a quasi-real time process called PowerSDR,
and an interrupted time sharing VM in between it and
the HPSDR hardware.

Just my guess.

--- Graham

==