[hpsdr] the world beyond 61.44 MHz

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Wed Feb 11 18:22:35 PST 2009

The Mercury will receive a 65 MHz signal - just try it. Power SDR must be tuning to the image (?)

But beyond this, I note that the ADC is good to 700 MHz and the driver amp to 1.8 Gz - the limiting component is the transformer which is good to at least 300 MHz.

So - if you bypass (remove?) the low pass filter, you should be able to receive sampling-alias frequencies that cover 2m and 222 MHz and possibly even 70 cm.

Has anyone tried this?

>From a theoretical point of view, how much degradation is to be expected in the higher Nyquist bands?
(sensitivity/NF versus the 1-60 MHz range, for example)
Would an appropriate preamp restore performance to something acceptable?

Ken