[hpsdr] OZY repair success with questions

Tim O'Rourke w4yn at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 03:05:56 PST 2009

I replaced the failed CY7C68013A chip with the help of many on the list.
First time dealing with a 128 pitch device!
I did make some mistakes along the way but I recovered just barely.
I tried the hot plate embosing heat gun to remove the chip but I could not get
the heat correct and with the connectors and all on the board I was afraid I would cook
something in the process.
I cut the legs off the chip with an exacto knife, first mistake, I touched the circuit board
with the knife but luckily no traces were cur.
I lifted 3 of the pads, again luck was with me as 2 of them had no traces attached.
The third left enough trace that I could bens a leg back and attach it to trace.
I soldered the remaining legs with fine point soldering iron and lots of flux per Gerds FB instructions.
I tried using the solder paste first but I could not get it to spread out it wanted to bunch up
on needle and not stick to board, is this normal?
All seems well and is back working, not sure how well the bent back leg on the chip is attached to
trace but at least for now all is working thanks to the advise and wisdom all who helped!
Tim W4YN

Tim O'Rourke
W4YN at ARRL.Net
Low Power Amateur Radio Rocks
Member of Flying Pigs,ARCI,GQRP,RSGB,ARRL Life Member
NHRA Life Member