[hpsdr] VMs and USB2

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Thu Feb 5 22:18:25 PST 2009

Hi Bob -- disappointed to hear of your VMWare issue -- I was hoping
to bring up a big quad core box with VMWare running different OS's to
play HPSDR on.

As to what may be the cause of the problem -- latency and  perhaps
turnaround time.  For 192khz our inbound data rate is about 12.4
Mbits/sec (192ksamp/sec * 64 bits/sample) + 1.6% overheard for sync
and command and control (8/512).  Outbound the data rate is about 3.1
Mbits/sec, so it would appear we should have plenty of bandwidth.

There is another possibility -- if you're using the 4 Feb PowerSDR
code I've got a thread reading the spectrum data from EP4.  At the
moment that thread is reading data from EP4 as fast as it can be
delivered.  I don't think there's all that much data coming up the
EP4 pipe, but I've not measured it yet.  If you did have the 4 Feb
drop I can build one with the EP4 stuff turned off and see if that
makes any difference.

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)