[hpsdr] Atom Mobile Power Supply

Doug Bade kd8b at thebades.net
Fri Feb 6 09:09:02 PST 2009

I had sent a reply that seems to have been eaten by the mail servers...

I am using the M2-atx 160 watt 6-24vdc input pico psu to run my atom
330 board and the  HPSDR with Mercury Ozzy and Penelope... and it
seems to run fine. Minimum switching noise when the antenna is at
least a few feet from the PSU... One particular ferrite device on the
PSU board seems to emanate most of the rfi.. touching it causes
re-radiation into the air and raises the spikes across the band on
the HPSDR.. when not touching it the rfi from the PSU is only a db or
so ripple in the noise floor .... with no shielding or other help..
just bare boards mounted in a frame next to the atom mb... I have not
tried to TX yet but rx and XP operations seem quite satisfactory on
this PSU. It is internally fused at 15 amps.. I suspect current will
go up as vcc goes down but at 13.8vdc in all is well..

So far so good... Hope folks find this useful as a datapoint... I may
post pix as I am home brewing an enclosure from Home Depot parts....
Starting as a frame, to be covered by sheet stock when I get there...

I have a 5w PA and switched filter assy to install this weekend....

73,
Doug
KD8B