[hpsdr] PennyWhistle - Call for Comments

K1rqg at aol.com K1rqg at aol.com
Fri Feb 6 15:35:27 PST 2009

Graham

Comments below:

In a message dated 2/6/2009 6:05:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
KE9H at austin.rr.com writes:

*****  High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List  *****

All:

Before I do a layout of the (hopefully)  final
version of PennyWhistle, I would like to call
for  comments.

If this is something you would be interested in,
please  review...

http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=PENNYWHISTLE

It  has been updated with an "off the shelf" output
transformer from  Communications Concepts, as well
as the power output versus frequency plots  have
been added.

Questions:

Do you prefer BNC versus the SMA  connectors shown?
No preference here, whichever is more convenient.

Considering the differences in power output at
6 Meters  versus HF, should a relay be added that
would switch the output peaking  between HF and
6 Meters, or is the performance with a fixed
capacitor at  one setting or the other adequate
for your purposes?   (that is,  keep it simple)
I prefer "keep it simple", can the output power be maintained
with proper linearity using PA settings in setup?

Is a bare board kit preferable if it saves multiple
months  for availability?  Are you comfortable
building a kit with about two  dozen SMT parts?
Assembling SMT boards should not be a problem here.

I have a suggestion from Phil H to add a feedback
winding to  (optionally) reduce gain and increase linearity
when used as a driver for  linears.
Good idea!

I have a suggestion from Lyle J. to try the RD15HVF1
in  place of the RD16HFF1 transistors to increase
performance at 6  Meters.
RE: comments about the relay vs PA settings to maintain
output power.

Thanks for the effort.

73 de Joe K1RQG

--- Graham / KE9H