[hpsdr] PennyWhistle - Call for Comments

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Fri Feb 6 15:46:40 PST 2009

Do you prefer BNC versus the SMA connectors shown?

No particular preference other than Mercury, Penny and Alex are all
using BNCs so might be better to be consistent.

> Considering the differences in power output at
> 6 Meters versus HF, should a relay be added that
> would switch the output peaking between HF and
> 6 Meters, or is the performance with a fixed
> capacitor at one setting or the other adequate
> for your purposes?   (that is, keep it simple)
The relay would be nice but not essential if it affects the schedule
severely.  The tuning for 6m doesn't look like it adversely affects HF
too much if I'm reading the charts correctly.
> Is a bare board kit preferable if it saves multiple
> months for availability?  Are you comfortable
> building a kit with about two dozen SMT parts?
Yes, bare board is good.  Looking at the photographs, the parts don't
seem like they'd be any more difficult than those on Atlas which I
managed OK (using my 2.5x magnifying glasses!).

> I have a suggestion from Phil H to add a feedback
> winding to (optionally) reduce gain and increase linearity
> when used as a driver for linears.
This sounds good since I imagine lots of users are contemplating driving
another stage.

> I have a suggestion from Lyle J. to try the RD15HVF1
> in place of the RD16HFF1 transistors to increase
> performance at 6 Meters.
Again, if this can be done without compromising the schedule too much it
might be worth doing.  Would this change affect HF and/or have any other
impact or benefits?

Thanks for your efforts - looking forward to seeing the kit.

73, Pete N3EVL