[hpsdr] PennyWhistle - Call for Comments

Sheldon Hands as5770972 at sapo.pt
Sat Feb 7 06:38:59 PST 2009

To maximise the versitility of PennyWhistle I think you ned to add provsion
for feedback as Phil suggested. I think  a simple series R/C from the output
back to the gates would do. I don´t see anything specific to the RD16HFF1
and would think if bare boards will be available one could fit 06´s or 15's
dependant on  requirements.

Requirments will differ, I did start to use one of my 20W bipolar amps
driven from Penny (2x2SC2166 to 2x2SC1969) but found it difficult to conrol
the drive to the AN762 (2XMRF454). I have now bypassed the the 2x2166
section and have a comfortable control for the HF triode amp. In my case
therfore  an 8w PennyWhistle would be more suitable,  so a board I can
configure with  either heavy feedback or a pair or 06´s would be better.

I think it´s pointless to a fit relay switched peaking cap on the output for
sake of 3 or 4 watts. For Six meters a triode will need more like 30 or 40W
and Tetrode will go crazy with 6W. Similiar to the situation above. Optional
values see the simplest way to go.

There should be no issues with the SMD componets, the density in the .jpg
look quite low. I produced a number of ham kits with SMD some years ago and
had positive feedback even from inexperianced constructors.

I go along with the consensus for BNC sockets to match Alex and Penny.

A bare board kit will suit the majority, I can think of only a few cases
where built will be necessary. There are enough of us on the list to support
those situations.

Shel CT1IZU