[hpsdr] Performance and USB adapter

Mark Amos mark at amos-family.com
Sat Jan 3 18:22:30 PST 2009

Thanks to whomever reminded me that performance of HPSDR has more to do with
USB performance than processor performance.  I just replaced a USB 2 adapter
in my computer and it made a world of difference.

FYI, the old board was a StarTech 6 port PCI adapter. I replaced it with a 6
port Allegro board.  Now the HPSDR performs like the FlexRadio (no dropouts,
glitches, etc.)

It's very cool to have both Flex and HPSDR panadapters displayed to compare
signals on different antennas, etc.  I think the HPSDR is spoiling me
though.  It doesn't have the spurs of the Flex (1000) and it just seems to
hear better, though I don't have any quantitative measurements.

Now I'm even more looking forward to Alex and Pennywhistle.

Amazing little radio!

Mark
W8XR