[hpsdr] intel 330 x86-64

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:43:05 PST 2009

Just got back from Puerto Rico, and naturally, the first thing I am doing
after reading email, hugging my kids, before I read mail (all bills anyway),
is to try and install x86_64 on my Atom330 D945GCLF2 motherboard.   Of
course, it gave me a fit.  First, the latest kernels and the BIOS have an
incompatibility (but of COURSE).  So you must do a bios update to the Dec.
21, 2008 BIOS.  The instructions make it seem trivial.  Put the iso on a
bootable device (such as CD ROM) and let it do the upgrade.

So the CD ROM boots,  and it asks you if you want to flash, you say yes,
and it does some stuff and then boots.  You think you are done so you unload
the CD-ROM and you get a CRC checksum message.   You say "Self, you have
seen this before,  the BIOS is updated and the battery backed configuration
is not checksummed" and it boots.

You try to start the x86_64 installation disks, and BOOM, kernel panic.

You scratch your head (as I am sure hundreds have done before you),  you
google, and you see almost no help whatsoever beyond "update the firmware".
You confirm that the firmware has NOT been updated and you go hmmmm.  Your
burn another copy of the CD-Rom,  you do it again,  same failure.

You boot the firmware update CD-ROM a TH IRD bloody time BUT THIS TIME,  you
let the computer reboot WITHOUT REMOVING THE CD-ROM and on the SECOND PASS,
it flashes the ROM.  Not a single word about this being a two pass or two
step process ANYWHERE that you can find, but this time it finishes.  You
confirm that after removing the CD-ROM and going into setup that this time,
you have the correct version of the BIOS (it says Intel 64 bit processor
compatible and does NOT say EM64T capable).  You install your Ubuntu x86_64
live CD and this time it boots without a bloody kernel panic.

I will report more later after I hope I forestall your making the same
stupid blunders I did.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair

NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.

"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom