[hpsdr] Mercury thermal

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 9 17:14:54 PST 2009

Hi All,
I'm conviced the A/D is hot because the heat is trapped near the part. The Data sheet says most of the heat comes out the bottom. I'm thinking of soldering a brass flat heat screw to the thermal pad and then thread on some sort of removable heatsink just in case there is a need to get at the back side of the board. Then I can just keep increasing the surface area of the heat sink until it cools the part better. 1.25 watts I would want about 3 square inches of surface area to keep it safe. That would be 6 inches if you count both sides. Rule of thumb I use is 130 degrees C per watt per square inch.  Heat likes to rise so it will have to go up and maybe bent in an L. Or we could just turn it upside down....
Any ideas out there. It sure makes sense to mount the A/D away from the Atlas interface full of digital noise but I think we are a bit too close to the top edge. Summer conditions a while away but you VK and ZL guys have the heat now. frank