[hpsdr] Remoting PowerSDR CAT via TCP/IP

Daniel Quigley dquigley at msn.com
Sat Jan 10 12:35:46 PST 2009

I prefer to dedicate a "main" PC as a station console to control the various rigs and other equipment in my shack.   Personally I am comfortable with HRD as a rig control interface and wanted to treat PowerSDR/HPSDR as another rig.  PowerSDR has the feature to virtualize a COM port and respond to serial CAT commands, however, my "main" PC, just does not have the processing power or memory to do PowerSDR/HPSDR justice and still perform well as my station console.

I started looking into how I could remote PowerSDR from a seprate HPSDR PC.  Phil Covington added an experimental TCP Server to PowerSDR that would work, however, adding his code into the PennyMerge branch and compiling it each time Bill drops an update is ugly and too inefficient.

A quick Google search located a commercial freeware virtual COM port and TCP bridge software package by Eterlogic.  This seems to work very well.

http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

Instructions:
Install the Eterlogic software on both PCs

On the HPSDR/PowerSDR machine:
1) Create a new virtual COM port (I used COM15), called a connector device in Eterlogics app
2) Create a new TcpServer device in Eterlogics (I just used the default TCP port 5555).
3) Configure and enable CAT Control in PowerSDR (I used COM15, 57600 Baud, N,8,1 and selected PowerSDR as the "ID as" value, you may want to use a TS-2000 if your CAT control app does not support PowerSDR)
4) Note the IP address of the machine

On the machine running HRD (or other CAT control app):
1) Create a new virtual COM port (I used COM15 to stay consistent), called a connector device in Eterlogics app
2) Create a new TcpClient device in Eterlogics (select COM15 created above and enter the IP address of the HPSDR machine using TCP port 5555).
3) Start HRD (or other CAT control software), select the correct device (PowerSDR or other) and connect it to COM15

73,
Dan (N7HQ)