[hpsdr] ver 2.4

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 10 17:00:31 PST 2009

Hi all,
I did a little testing at 5 and 10 MHz. 10 MHz I used the reference from my Cubic R2307 and 5 MHz. the same Racal source. The phase noise hits -130 dBc at abut 500 Hz which is very good. I do notice one thing that may be new or I never noticed it before.
When you look at the broadband noise floor around 10 MHz any signal above -40 dBM raises the BB noise floor. Suspecting it may be the source I went back to the Racal oscillator at 5 MHz. The broadband noise floor increased when the input signal was above   -20 dBM. ( I tested 2.3 at -17 dBM input) You have to go out 100 KHz or so to see it becasue close in things look great. The spectrum seems to look different at 5 MHz Close in looks better but far out looks worse.
The MDS is about -135 dBM so that is 115 dB of range.  I then did a dynamic range check on 75 meters. At 5 KHz spacing I measure 95 dB and at 20 KHz 103 dB. I have not checked dynamic range since 2.1 when I got 100 dB at 20 KHz spacing. I didn't check closer in because of all the weird ticking from phase noise close in.
So close in thngs look good but not sure about the BB noise floor increasing which could be due to my source.
One other thing I seem to hear random popping about every 2 seconds when there is a strong carrier present. I don't remember hearing this with 2.3.
I think I have a combination of things going on. My test equipment is running out of steam, I'm getting more critical and maybe going through a learning curve on how to test this thing.
I'n not sure if the BB noise increase was also in other versions because I never looked that far off CF while checking phase noise. I will in the future.
Frank WA1GFZ