[hpsdr] Pentalope audio

a.groff k0vm at mchsi.com
Thu Jan 15 07:36:24 PST 2009

(SW: PSDR TFD 10 Jan, Mercury V2.4, WInXP sp3; HW: Mercury, Pentalope, Ozy )

There seems to be a high noise level in the pentalope audio system. In
L/USB, AM modes and no mic plugged in, the TX Mic meter reads in the
range of -20 to -25db when PSDR MOX is keyed.  With MON on, the noise
sounds like a mix of crackling white noise and unstable audio tones.
Enabling the audio gate kills the noise as does enabling VAC.   The
noise is present on the external TX RF output meter about 25-30 db below
peak output and is visable on then TX Panadaptor.

The noise reminds me a bit of noises that in past time I traced to bad
solder joints or over stressed/reversed polarized capacitors.

Does/has anyone else seen this characteristic ?    Is there some setup
that I have missed ?

AL, K0VM