[hpsdr] ATOM update

Paul Beckmann wa0rse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:06:23 PST 2009

Just a short status note: The ATOM 330 box is up with GRUB, XPpro32SP3, and
Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit. I installed PowerSDR 1.16.1, .NET 1.1, the FA66 drivers,
and a 1394 board on the box today and hooked up the SDR-1K. Under 32bit
WinXPpro, the CPU meter was running between 10-20%, all modes tried. CW was
flawless at 60ms break-in keying delay.

This is a HUGE difference for me in the operation of the SDR-1K. It just
shows how SDR really depends on horsepower on the computer side to make it
all work. The lock-ups, noise, poor CW performance, pops, etc. were all do
to demands exceeding the capability of the old 1.8Ghz P4 system.

Now that I have a functioning SDR station back up, on to playing with
Ubuntu, HPSDR, and all the Dttsp goodies!

73 & thanks for all the help!

--Paul, wa0rse

P.S. Eric has told us that PowerSDR will run the 1K and 5K under WinXP-x64
fine, just *not* *Vista64*. I'll likely stay with 32-bit for the time being.