[hpsdr] [dttsp-linux] ATOM update

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:28:32 PST 2009

I am running all of that on the Atom 330 (D945GCLF2 mobo) with the
addition of Windows XP64 and it is flawless. I had an XP64 disk that has
not been installed on a system in two years and it needed an hour to do
all of the Windows updates which tells you how old it was. Everything
works flawlessly. The big discovery that Intel made with the multiple
core technology is that modern operating systems can be single threaded
and need a huge clock, gobs of power, and hard to build transmission
lines or they can build many slower cores to run in parallel and then
have high demand jobs basically get a "CPU to themselves" rather than
deal with locks of context switching, etc. and overall, be much better off.

It has absolutely revolutionized the computer industry at the consumer
level and has made seriously capable computers dirt cheap.

This is NOT to say this is one size fits all. I am also building an
Intel I7 extreme machine where the cost of the motherboard is twice what
I paid for the entire Atom 330 computer. It is being built so I can
effectively use Nvidia GPU's (I have a two GPU Telsa and will have two
more on the graphics card and SLI bound to the Tesla) for DSP
supercomputer. This is also not for everyone because it will cost $2500
without the Tesla.

I am extremely happy that Intel brought all of this out and extremely
grateful to Phil Covington for suggesting this to Frank and I. I am
happy to have had the time to go through all of the necessary pain to
get everything going to make it easier for everyone else to follow. I do
believe we are approaching, and rapidly, the time when an all SDR setups
will be "comodity priced" and "every man" can afford them and have
startling capabilities. This is my dream and goal and I thank EVERYONE
who follows all of this wandering we do because without the interest and
support of this experimenter and user community, we would not make large
progress. Whitespace rules and large scale integration and many way SMP
cores at reduced power and more will push all of us in this direction
whether we want to go there or not. I am happy we are.

73's
Bob

--
ARRL SDR Working Group Chair